Saturday 19 January 2013

Snow, snow go away ...

Gosh it is cold today!

We did not stay at the warehouse yesterday as we left early to fetch the girls from school.  We made the decision not to go into the warehouse today either as we felt that it would be so difficult to keep the warehouse warm and it was doubtful whether anyone would visit anyway as the roads were so bad.  

As I said earlier in the week we were supposed to be visiting the Furniture show at the NEC tomorrow but having looked at all of the weather reports we have decided to not travel and stay in the warm instead.  Mr P. is not particularly happy that we cannot go as this show is one of the largest of its kind and only happens once a year.  As well as getting to see new furniture designs it is a chance for him to catch up with old friends  and others in the industry.  It is a shame but we know that to try and make the journey would not be sensible in the circumstances.

So today, Saturday we are all spending a day in the warm.

The chickens are not so lucky ... they are desperate to find bits and pieces to eat.  I keep throwing cabbage and lettuce as well as some warm porridge out for them but they still look sorry for themselves.  It always amazes me how such a small little thing can withstand temperatures overnight that would send us to our grave.




 The dogs and cat are all a little more lucky and are sharing the same bed in the kitchen by the warm radiator.  The girls are creating weather reports with the video camera and Mr. P. has been loading new stock onto the website and contacting those people who are ordering online and need 24 hour delivery.  He has had to explain that realistically we will not get orders out until Monday or Tuesday now.



 I have been making another Christmas cake as our first cake has already gone.  Mr P. loves his cake so much and I promised that I would make him another one as I had given most of the first cake away this year to guests and ladies on our workshops.

So today I thought I would make it.  I followed the same Christmas cake recipe from my Mum that I follow every year but I have had to make do with the dried fruit that I had in the cupboard instead of buying the exact ingredients.  The only part that really matters anyway is that it has sufficient brandy in it to sink the titanic and will be covered with inch thick layers of marzipan and icing.  I did suggest that we just eat it as a fruit cake but needless to say that suggestion did not go down very well!

This afternoon I'm making a chocolate and beetroot cake as I have too much beetroot in the fridge this week.

 ***************************************


As I have mainly been thinking about cakes today and drinking lots of tea I thought I would have some themed 'tea and cake' card suggestions for you.  They make great birthday cards but could also be used as notelets to say hello or for party invitations.


The cake stamp is from Woodware and is stamped onto different patterned papers which are then trimmed to create the finished cake in its wrapper.


Here the same cake stamp from Woodware is used.


The wedding cake is created by tearing strips of paper in decreasing sizes.  Once stuck to the card a little doodling has been added around the edges for definition and a heart has been added to the top of the cake.


And finally after all of that baking and crafting time for a cup of tea I think!


No comments:

Post a Comment